Thursday, November 11, 2010

Re- Purpose With Wool Sweaters

the long thread
the long thread

Here’s a quick tutorial for a felted sweater stocking.This makes a 12″ long stocking, but you could increase or decrease the pattern to suit your needs. Print the template here.
  1. First, you’ll need 100% wool sweaters, washed and dried.
  2. I cut my sweaters into 1 1/2″ strips (the width of my yard stick). I used about 15 strips in all. I sewed them with a straight stitch right sides together until I had a somewhat rectangular striped piece.
  3. I then cut the pattern front from this piece, adding 1/2″ around the outside for the seam allowance. I cut the back from a solid color (with a band at the top). Be sure to cut the front and back in mirror image. I then inserted a quick loop and sewed it all together.



the long thread
the long thread creative commons

I am just dying to make some of these for around my house this holiday season!
This and the tutorial above is all thanks to Ellen Lucket Baker and here is what she had to say;
So get some wool sweaters, wash and dry them, cut 15 circles according to the template, string them together and hang them or add them to your miniature winter village. I’m hoping to make one of those this year, but we’ll see. You know, because everyone needs a miniature winter village, right? Template for the tree ornaments




Refashionso
Who couldn't use a little decor pick me up? Could you see using a sweater with a seasonal color and some special buttons to dress up your holiday decor?

every little thing
What little one wouldn't love one of these cute little critters to hug at bedtime while waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve?






TheDYIDish
And of course who doesn't need a two minute gift to make for the holidays? And with a how to get your sweater ready for any of these inspiring ideas that I am sure you are warming up to make! So don't throw out those old sweaters re purpose them & get new life out of them~
Have you used wool in any of your crafty projects? Have you tried to re purpose a sweater before? What was your favorite wool project? I sure would like to know~

1 comment:

  1. Hi Theresa,

    What a great idea, been able to use old sweaters for all these wonderful gifts.
    This post is great and thanks for sharing.
    I especially love the pillow and the wee critters.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment~
Have a creative day, Theresa

Cath Kidston